Hey there, Local Harvest Delivery CSA members! This week, we’re thrilled to bring you something truly special in your box – Fingerlimes. These little citrus wonders might be new to you, but they’re sure to jazz up your meals. Let’s dive into what they are and how you can enjoy them.
What Are Finger limes?
Finger limes, also known as “citrus caviar,” are small, finger-shaped fruits from Australia. They look like tiny jewels, and when you cut them open, you’ll find something remarkable: little beads of citrus goodness that burst with flavor.
A Burst of Flavor
They are known for their tangy, zesty taste. They’re like a mix of lemon and lime with some extra oomph. Their tartness adds a refreshing kick to your dishes.
You can use Finger limes in many fun ways:
- Garnish with Flair: Sprinkle them on salads, seafood, or anything you want to look fancy.
- Sauce It Up: Squeeze them into sauces, dressings, or marinades for a burst of citrusy goodness.
- Sweet Treats: Use them to jazz up desserts like tarts, cakes, or ice cream.
- Seafood Buddy: They’re a great match for seafood dishes like ceviche or grilled fish.
- Cocktail Twist: Pop them in your drinks for a unique citrusy kick.
- Homemade Jams: Turn them into jellies or preserves for a special treat.
Getting the Best Out of Fingerlimes
When choosing fingerlimes, go for ones with vibrant colors and firm skin. You can keep them in the fridge for up to two weeks. Just stash them in a plastic bag with holes for freshness.
Get Creative in the Kitchen
Fingerlimes are a fun and fancy way to level up your cooking, and Local Harvest Delivery is excited to bring them to your table. Don’t be afraid to experiment and let your taste buds do a little happy dance. Enjoy your fingerlimes – they’re a real treat!
Finger Limes and Cucumber Salad
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3-4 Finger Limes
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Cucumbers:
- Wash the cucumbers thoroughly and slice them thinly. You can use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife.
- Prepare the Finger Limes:
- Cut the Finger Limes in half and gently squeeze out the citrus “caviar” or tiny juice vesicles. Be careful not to squeeze too hard; you want to keep the vesicles intact.
- Combine Cucumbers and Red Onion:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers and finely sliced red onion. Toss them together.
- Add Mint and Cilantro:
- Add the chopped fresh mint and cilantro to the cucumber and red onion mixture. These herbs will provide a burst of freshness to the salad.
- Make the Dressing:
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, rice vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Dress the Salad:
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber mixture. Gently toss to ensure all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Add Finger Limes:
- Gently fold in the Finger Lime “caviar.” These will add bursts of zesty citrus flavor to the salad.
- Chill and Serve:
- Place the salad in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes to let the flavors meld and the salad to chill. This step is optional but enhances the overall taste.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- When you’re ready to serve, garnish the salad with a few extra sprigs of mint and cilantro. Enjoy your refreshing Finger Limes and cucumber salad!
This salad is perfect for a light and refreshing side dish, especially on a warm day. The combination of crisp cucumbers, the bright burst of Finger Lime citrus, and the herbal notes of mint and cilantro will make it a favorite in no time.