This week, your CSA box is bringing you the ever-versatile Napa cabbage, and we’ve got the inside scoop on this kitchen superstar. Plus, we’re sharing a simple and delicious braised Napa cabbage recipe. Let’s get started!
Meet Napa Cabbage
Napa cabbage, also known as Chinese cabbage, is a leafy green that’s all about crispness and mild sweetness. Here’s what you need to know:
1. Looks Matter: Napa cabbage boasts an elongated, pale green head with crinkled leaves, quite different from the round cabbage you might be familiar with.
2. Flavor Profile: Its taste is subtly sweet with a touch of peppery notes. It’s light and crunchy, making it a great addition to many dishes.
Cooking with Napa Cabbage
Napa cabbage is like a culinary chameleon, ready to shine in various recipes:
1. Crispy Salads: Chop it up and toss it into your salads for a delightful crunch.
2. Stir-Fry Star: Its mild flavor makes it a great fit for stir-fries, soaking up all those tasty sauces.
3. Kimchi Classic: Napa cabbage is the secret to Korean kimchi, the spicy and iconic side dish.
4. Soups and Stews: Let it soften in soups and stews, adding a subtle sweetness to the broth.
5. Wrap It Up: Use Napa cabbage leaves as a healthier alternative to wraps or tortillas.
6. Pickle Pleasure: You can pickle it for a tangy and mellow flavor, perfect for side dishes.
Braised Napa Cabbage Recipe
Now, let’s dive into a simple recipe to showcase the charm of Napa cabbage:
- 1 Napa cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Heat It Up: In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Sizzle Aromatics: Add the minced garlic and ginger and sauté for about a minute until they become fragrant.
- Add Napa Cabbage: Toss in the chopped Napa cabbage and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until it starts to wilt.
- Flavor Boost: Drizzle the soy sauce over the cabbage. Stir to coat the cabbage evenly with that savory goodness.
- Simmer and Season: Pour in the broth and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat, cover, and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes until the cabbage becomes tender but still has a little crunch.
- Serve with Style: Transfer your braised Napa cabbage to a serving dish, and sprinkle sesame seeds on top for an extra crunch and nutty flavor.
This braised Napa cabbage is a simple and tasty side dish that highlights its mild and sweet character. Its tender yet slightly crisp texture combined with savory flavors is a win-win.
Enjoy your Napa cabbage from Local Harvest Delivery, and happy cooking!